The concept of Third Culture Kids was rather interesting to
me. Of course the article and much of
the concept refers to kids who have lived abroad, away from their home culture
for a portion of their lives. I think
that a similar experience can be had for children who move domestically. I for one, was born in Denver, moved from
Denver to Cleveland, Cleveland to Boise, Boise to Cleveland, Cleveland to
Boise, Boise to Cleveland, and Cleveland to North Carolina all before I was
18. Each time I moved to Cleveland, we
moved to a new suburb. Though the cultural changes are not nearly as drastic as
someone who moves internationally, there are distinct similarities. For example, the idea of constantly coming
and going, and lives always changing, as well as the backdrop of physical
surroundings fluctuating is relevant to my experience (Polluck 17). Also, much of the moving happened in my
developmental years, when my sense of identity was being shaped. I have often attributed my ability to adapt
to change to these years of my life. It
instilled a sense of adventure and lack of fear for things that were new and
different. It also seemed to connect me
with friends who were “new” to the school.
And though it is all within the states, the culture in Boise, Idaho is
quite different from that of Cleveland, Ohio.
The cultural changes were something that I was able to see at a rather
young age, making me more aware of my surroundings and appreciating the new friends
I was making and the ones that were in the town I previously lived. I found this video on Third Culture Kids. I laughed at the beginning part when the
interviewees were asked where they were from, and all of them had this blank
look on their face, silent, not certain how to answer. Though I’ve lived in Denver for six years and
am from here originally, I still do that sometimes when people ask me where I
am from. I noticed it the most when I
was in college and people would ask where I was from. I now have accepted the term, “I am from here,”
but it took me a while to get used to feeling comfortable calling Denver home.
http://vimeo.com/41264088
I would say there is such a thing as a "Domestic Third Culture." I didn't get the chance to travel abroad until 22, but until that point, I too bounced the states. I've never lived in one place for more than five years. Since I was born, I've moved from Washington, to Hawaii, back to Washington, to California, to Texas, to Nebraska, to Iowa, and to Colorado. I have no idea how to answer the question "Where are you from?" It makes too many assumptions. For example, if I say I'm from Whidbey Island, Washington, people will think that I grew up there, that I know the area well, and that my family is there. All of which are untrue. I grew up in a multitude of places, I know no areas well, and my family is spread out (still moving around). So what do I say without sounding mysterious, without lying, and without spending too much time explaining myself? I'm still squaring with that.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Sam that there is a "Domestic Third Culture." I don't have experience with this myself (born and raised in the small town of Stuttgart, AR), but I did have a friend who moved to Stuttgart from Iowa when we were both in second grade. When we first became friends, all I would hear was how different Iowa was from Arkansas and how he hated it in Arkansas. He was Othered by many as the "northerner." I remember distinctly my reaction the first time he called my mom be her first name and not "Mrs. ___." It was such a shock, as I grew up being taught that it was rude to do so. For many years, he would tell me how hard of a time he had answering the "Where are you from?" question. As time went on, however, he made Arkansas his home and still lives there today. I was too young to understand it then, of course, but I now recognize his evolution through cultural adaptation as a domestic third culture kid.
ReplyDelete