Last week, we read an article by Elfriede Fursich about
global journalists and their representation of the “Other.” Fursich analyzes
media texts from travel programs to argue that journalists need to adopt new
techniques to better represent the complexity of the “Other.” However, the
article takes a broad stroke in its applicability to foreign relations
journalism. With an eye on this, I couldn’t help but think of an article I read
during the American government shutdown in late September. The article, which
became the first in the news outlets “If It Happened There” series, somewhat satirically
reported on the event using the tone the American media frequently uses to
describe events in other countries. I’ve included the link to the article here.
The series has also covered the State of the Union, the Super Bowl and the Duck
Dynasty controversy, among others.
Despite being quite hilarious, these articles also give me
pause as a regular consumer of foreign affairs news stories. Though the
articles deliver hyperbole in parts, they read much like some journalists
describe situations elsewhere. In an attempt to provide appealing detail, the American
global journalist many times represents the “Other” in an unreasonable manner
contingent with subjectivity and from a distance. I believe the Slate series
compels a sense of self-reflective analysis needed in American journalism.
What is your reaction to this series? What does this say
about the impact of highly broadcast American media on the representation of
the “Other?”
-Michael
No comments:
Post a Comment