In class we have discussed the internment of Japanese
Americans after the bombing of Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941.
Each time we’ve talked about the internment of Japanese Americans I'm reminded
that one of those camps was located in Topaz, UT a few hours outside of Salt
Lake City where I’ve camped numerous times and always saw it as the most remote,
desolate place on earth. The best place to escape civilization, or to remove
someone from it as the government did to the Japanese Americans.
What is of course not a surprise is that growing up I heard nothing of the camp
in school, in what was an attempt to white wash history by the powers that
be.
As a child growing up in Utah I was
also a big fan of Dr. Seuss, or Theodor Seuss Geisel, and read repeatedly ‘The
Cat in the Hat’, ‘Horton Hears a Who’, etc. What I didn’t know until some years
later is that Dr. Seuss was originally a political cartoonist with less than
childlike views about Japanese Americans.
Here is one of many images by Seuss depicting his sentiment
about Japanese Americans.
Political cartoons are a powerful method to promote political agendas, and as we read about Arab women post 9/11, when the Japanese challenged U.S. culture in the Pearl Harbor attacks it must have created a salient nationalist American agenda. Japanese-Americans where then local threats to this identity, hence the response. This, of course, doesn’t justify such
atrocities, but shows how universal human reactions can be to a threatened communal
identity. What’s even eerier to think about is that while the Nazis where
marching the Jews into their camps we were marching Japanese American’s into
ours. Popular history has indeed told a different story.
It
should be noted that Seuss eventually apologized for his cartoon treatment of the
Japanese and Africans (another frequently marginalized group depicted by
Seuss).

Growing up in AZ, I felt the same about the Indian Reservation land in Northern Arizona. There are some great hikes and gorgeous scenery, but it too is desolate. The land is arid, and can't be utilized for much. The few things I am grateful for is that many of the historic landmarks and relics of the old cultures are managed and protected by the many tribes there. AZ has the highest number of Native Americans out of any other state, and 1/3 of it is actually reservation land. Not sure if that's because we were the last (contiguous) state to join the Union, or because the Western expansionists deemed it to be over-all unfit for homesteading. Either way, it doesn't erase the harsh history these nations endured, and continue to endure to this day.
ReplyDeleteAs far as cartoons go, and i don't mean to justify this in any means, but unfortunately I think it was just a mark of the times. You even see inappropriate caricatures in old Looney Tunes cartoons and Old Disney shorts. While cringe-worthy today, the only positive thing I can pull from it is that it provides context for our progress with society as a whole in our steps towards a becoming more inclusive, understanding and just in our practices, awareness and actions with one another.