The Mongolian ger has been in use for more than eight
hundred years. It is older than Chinngis Khaan himself. Strong traditions
around the structure and layout of a ger have built up over time. For instance,
a ger door always opens to the south. Explanations for this include the need
for a ger to face the sun to the south, to avoid the strong winds from the north,
and even to be able to see Chinese armies coming from the south. Whatever the reason
for it, this tradition exists today even if that means it will face a fence
instead of the middle of a compound.
| A ger's interior from the door (south). |
The traditions inside the ger are similarly strong. While
visiting another’s ger, whether for a holiday or a simple friendly meal, where
you sit depends upon your age, your social standing, and gender. The eldest hosts
always sit at the northern point of the ger, across from the door, with the
youngest closest to the door. Men sit on the west side, women sit on the east. So
particular are these traditions, that they are often not followed when entering
a square apartment. As with many traditions, these rules are sometimes adjusted
or modified depending on the level of reverence given to a guest. For instance,
when my program visited, a 30 something female, visited my sight, my host
family had her sit on in the position of the most revered guest. Her power over
determining whether the village would get another volunteer after I left raised
her level of importance.
In analyzing co-culturation of immigrants in a new culture,
Curtin noted how “everyone is continually engaged in social and political processes
of identification and that these processes are highly situated and discursively
based” (pg. 283). The place where I was encouraged to sit constantly shifted
depending on the ger I visited and my relation to the hosts, and my level of integration
with the community. When I first arrived, I was the welcome guest as my program
manager was treated. As I grew to become one of the teachers in the school, I
gradually moved closer to the door as I was the second youngest among. My host
mother, the director of the village school, held quite a bit of power, and thus
my family did. So, at times I was brought up the line to sit near my parents.
At times I could be identified as a young male, as an interesting guest from
America, as a member of my host family, or as a respected teacher for my
students. Each of these identities placed me in different parts of the ger; something
incredibly simple became a measure of how integrated I and others felt I was.
No comments:
Post a Comment