Thus far in my academic career as a graduate student,
several of the theories and concepts that I have learned about have remained
just that, theories and concepts. It wasn’t until this weekend that one
actually came to life right before my eyes. I found myself in a place I had
never been before; justifying the very ideas that once upon a time had been so
foreign to me.
Over the weekend, I had a night out with friends. We had a
few drinks, played some pool, threw some darts, and enjoyed each other’s
company. It was only when the subject of history and politics come up did the
night take a turn for the worse.
A good friend of mine, who I have several things in common
with, approached the idea of Southern culture. He is from Texas, and I from Tennessee.
And while there are facets about cultures of both states that are similar,
overall, they are very different. We were discussing the idea that
non-southerners hardly recognize this fact. That to some, we are all a bunch of
teeth missing, redneck speaking, truck driving, undereducated, cousin marrying,
racist individuals. And then, the conversation took a different turn.
This friend of mine, whom I respect and revere, was spouting
such ill-informed, stereotypical, over-generalized, and downright racist
things, I wasn’t sure how to react. The dialogue ranged from discussions about
immigration, inequality, power structures, historical marginalization and
narrative bias. But the tone (from him) was always the same. It was a tone of
indifference. No matter what I said, what injustice I pointed out, what
empirical data I referenced, what historical event I compared, his mind was not
going to be changed. To him, the argument about the privilege of white males
was so preposterous he laughed it off. Being from Texas, he had very
opinionated views on immigration, and was convinced that the U.S. Government
supports and defends the rights of illegal aliens. That they are provided and
entitled to all the benefits U.S. American citizens are (access to welfare, health
insurance (umm, what?)), education, and jobs he was convinced of. These are
things I had definitely heard before, so it didn’t come at such a shock.
When I had had enough of the exchange, I simply pointed out
that it wasn’t surprising to me he didn’t understand his position and privilege
in life because it was all he had ever known, he became visibly angry."It is not uncommon for men to exhibit random tantrums when their...views are challenged" (Matias & Allen, 292) To him,
my implication that he had ever led a privileged life was insulting. In the Loving Whiteness to Death article, this statement rang true, "These theories seek to reveal what many students' egos cannot tolerate knowing; hence, their egos react defensively."
Thus far in my graduate career, discussions of difference in opinion have mainly taken place in the classroom, a controlled, safe environment. So being taken out of that context almost removed my confidence in a way. I was unable to piece the words together that I wanted because I knew they would be heard on deaf ears. I later went home, thought about it, slept on it, and came up with a marvelous idea. Someone should undertake the project of countering ignorant statements with simple, easily understood and communicated ideas for those of us who want to spread knowledge, but trip over our own feet when doing so. If this already exists, point me in the right direction. If not, any takers? You’ve got yourself a paying (ok downloading) customer.
Thus far in my graduate career, discussions of difference in opinion have mainly taken place in the classroom, a controlled, safe environment. So being taken out of that context almost removed my confidence in a way. I was unable to piece the words together that I wanted because I knew they would be heard on deaf ears. I later went home, thought about it, slept on it, and came up with a marvelous idea. Someone should undertake the project of countering ignorant statements with simple, easily understood and communicated ideas for those of us who want to spread knowledge, but trip over our own feet when doing so. If this already exists, point me in the right direction. If not, any takers? You’ve got yourself a paying (ok downloading) customer.
Being from Arkansas and going to undergraduate in Texas (where 50% of the student body were Texans), I have had very similar experiences. This is not to say that all Texans are this way, but I definitely encountered a few. I explored some of the topics we have discussed this quarter in undergrad, but I wish I had been more equipped with the knowledge from this quarter in some of my interactions over the past few years. But even if I had been better-equipped, I agree that I would have felt similar to you in that no matter how I tried to explain the exchange, the person would have gotten defensive and/or laughed it off. I see so much of the theory in the "real world" now, but I don't exactly know how to approach situations with this knowledge outside of academia. Maybe the best thing we can do with this knowledge is to lead by example; for example, befriending and getting to know other cultures and people, breaking stereotypes and advocating for the rights of others.
ReplyDeleteI'll search around for that project, too. :)