Thursday, January 23, 2014

Gay Marriages Confront Catholic School Rules

The Jackson and Moshin reading, 'Identity and Difference', states “There must be something on which we must focus that distinguishes itself from something else. This very small interstitial dynamic is what catalyzes difference. At the moment we are compelled to designate a name for some person, place, thing, or experience we are beginning the practice of discrimination (338).” The questionnaire that we completed, 'Daily effects of white privilege', had many statements in which race could be replaced with sexual orientation. This issue of privilege as discussed in last night’s class goes beyond race and ethnicity. It is extended to another socially deemed “other” which is based on sexual orientation. Heterosexual relationships are privileged in the United States. This New York Times’ article reveals a situation in which a man was fired from his job once it was discovered that he had recently wed another man. Would a man in this exact position be fired for marrying a woman? What I find redeeming about this situation is the amount of outcry and uprising that has come together to speak out against the unjust and discriminatory firing of Mr. Z. We learn that bystanders will not stand idle. What does this mean for the homosexual community? I, for one, hope that this protesting on behalf of those persecuted is a trend that continues until equality prevails.

1 comment:


  1. When I was filling out the "Daily effects of white privilege" questionnaire, I too felt like race and ethnicity could have been replaced with sexual orientation -- not with all of the questions, and not as overtly, but definitely applicable. Being a fellow Arkansan, I always felt as if I had to be reserved in enacting my sexual orientation because of potential discrimination. It created many identity gaps for me that I am still struggling to bridge. Stories like this are perfect examples of institutional discrimination. I also find redeeming qualities in the public outcry on this issue and others like it, such as the anti-gay business law passed in Arizona and being considered in other state legislatures based in religious freedoms. Many seem to be toeing all too close to the line between religious freedom of the majority and the human freedom of the minorities...and stepping over that line in many instances.

    Also: I'm sure you have heard about this, but a similar case occurred close to home at Mount Saint Mary's in Little Rock. Check it out here: http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2013/10/17/human-rights-campaign-says-mount-st-mary-prepared-to-fire-gay-teacher-for-marrying

    ReplyDelete